What is Beyond Backgrounds?
Landlords may experience a higher amount of risk when renting to someone that doesn't meet their initial screening criteria. As a result, renters with criminal, credit and rental history barriers are having a difficult time finding a place to live. Beyond Backgrounds
was created to help.
When a renter with their case manager applies to participate in the Beyond Backgrounds
program, the landlords who rent to them have access to up to $2,000 of financial protection in the following circumstances:
- Damage to the unit beyond what the security deposit covers.
- Unpaid rent at the end of the lease term beyond what is covered by the security deposit.
- Court filing fees if an eviction is pursued beyond what is covered by the security deposit.
- Other unfortunate circumstances beyond what is covered by the security deposit.
To ensure success, each participating renter receive case management support. Also, many will have housing assistance to help make their housing more affordable. This program exists so both landlords and renters can move beyond the background issues that prevent people from finding stable, safe and affordable housing.
What areas does Beyond Backgrounds cover?
The counties of Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Scott and Washington.
Who is eligible?
How to Apply
- Household lives in Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Scott or Washington County.
- FHPAP Eligible.
- Have been assessed through Coordinated Entry.
- Households receiving support services through a community or government organization.
- Have barriers to accessing rental housing (e.g. Criminal, Credit, Rental History).
- A case manager must watch the Beyond Backgrounds training video.
- Fill out the eligibility application.
Special thanks to Minnesota Housing for making Beyond Backgrounds possible!