Section 8 Vouchers

What is the Section 8 Voucher program?
Section 8 is a government-funded program that helps low-income households pay the rent on private, market-rate rental units.

How does it work?
After you receive a voucher from a Housing Authority (click to see the map), you search and find a unit (within certain requirements). The rent you will pay will be 30% to 40% of your household’s adjusted gross income. A Housing Authority will pay a portion of the rent directly to the property. If you move, the voucher moves with you. To qualify for a Section 8 voucher, you must fall within Minnesota’s income limits.
* Example of rent at 30% of income: Household with one full-time worker at $7.25/hour might pay $348 per month.

How do I apply?

Although the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) funds the Section 8 program, it is administered by local housing authorities or other affiliated organizations. You will need to contact the housing authority where you want to live to get on a Section 8 Voucher waiting list (should one of the waiting lists be open). Waiting lists for vouchers are often long or closed. HousingLink cannot tell you about your individual status on a waiting list, but we do maintain a list of which housing authorities have waiting list openings.

Do I qualify?

To qualify for a Section 8 voucher, you must fall within Minnesota’s income limits.

I have a voucher. How do I find a place that will accept it?
  • You still have to apply for a unit at a rental property. Some properties may choose not to accept vouchers.
  • Go to our home page to begin searching for available units.
    1. Select the counties and/or cities where you can use your voucher.
    2. Click "Search".
    3. On the Search Results page, click on the "Section 8 Voucher Accepted" column heading.
    4. Contact any of the listings with a red check mark.
  • The housing authority will give you guidelines that identify an eligible rent amount.
  • Most properties will require a credit, criminal, and rental history check.
  • The unit must pass an inspection before you can move in and the subsidy payments can start.
Christina Quote
Useful Links
To view Payment Standards and Utility Allowances for local Housing Authorities, click here. Then select the Housing Authority from the map that you're interested in.

"The Big 3" Subsidized Housing

Housing Programs By Number

Housing Authority Waiting List

Housing Terms

Abbreviations Used In Housing
© 2010, HousingLink