HousingLink was established as a result of the 1995 Hollman v Cisneros Consent Decree. The goal was improved housing conditions and greater awareness of housing options in different neighborhoods for families participating in the Section 8 voucher and public housing programs.
One provision of the decree stipulated that an affordable housing information clearinghouse be established to ensure that low-to-moderate income families have access to the affordable housing information they need. HousingLink was organized in 1997 as a 501(c)3 organization to meet this need, and we began providing vacancy information as well as training and support to housing service agencies. Since that time, HousingLink has become Minnesota's primary source for affordable housing-related openings, data, information and resources.
HousingLink's mission is "to improve people's lives through information expanding their affordable rental choices." There are over 45,000 searches each month for affordable rental housing on our website. We also publish the status of subsidized housing waiting lists in the Twin Cities through the Housing Authority Waiting List.
Renters and service agencies also use Housing Tips and training we provide to solve housing problems. Staff at human service agencies in Minnesota use HousingLink's resources
to help their clients overcome barriers to their housing search, and to answer questions about subsidized housing programs in Minnesota.
Landlords and property managers use HousingLink to advertise their rental housing openings for free. This expands the housing and neighborhood choices to renters in Minnesota.
Finally, HousingLink conducts research that is used by policymakers and research organizations to shape affordable housing policy in the Twin Cities and the state of Minnesota.
- HOUSING CHOICE. We empower renters to choose housing in locations with access to good schools, employment, transportation, and community resources.
- STABILITY. We help renters find affordable rental housing that leads to stability in all aspects of their lives.
- EQUITY. We believe communities are stronger when all renters have access to quality affordable and safe housing.
- RELIABILITY. We are a trusted, objective source of accurate and reliable information that is easy to find.
- INNOVATION. We continually find new and better ways to provide affordable rental housing information.
See how our website has evolved! Click here to see what our original website looked like
Click here to view our second website design
. Click here to view our third website design.