HousingLink provides research, data, analytics and expertise to Minnesota's affordable housing sector. As experts in both subsidized and private market rental housing supply, HousingLink has contributed data and expertise for numerous multi-agency collaborative efforts. Our research offerings are driven from two primary aspects of the rental housing market: Market Rent data and Publicly-Assisted/Subsidized data.
Rental Revue Data
HousingLink's Rental Revue Data is a unique policy and analysis resource featuring thousands of public-facing vacancy listings per quarter in the state of Minnesota.
Rental Revue Data consists of two components:
- A larger set of private market rents with address-level records containing advertised rent amount, number of bedrooms, and building type (including both multifamily and the "shadow market" of single family home, duplex, condo, and townhome).
- A smaller subset of data derived form HousingLink's own Housing Search service, with an expanded array of vacancy listing attributes (background checks, application fees, amenities, etc.) as well as availability of affordable homes (subsidized housing wait lists, Section 8 acceptance, etc.).
Individually or in concert the two components of our Rental Revue Data set have contributed to a number of regional policy and community development collaborations as well as specific custom research needs related to market analyses, rent reasonableness projects, and housing studies.
In addition, our Rental Revue Data
drives many of HousingLink's proprietary research products, including:
- Twin Cities Rental Housing Trends: An interactive, rolling, 12-month visualization of key rental market trends in the Twin Cities.
- Twin Cities Rental Revue: A subscription-based quarterly median rent report for multifamily, single family, duplex, condo, and townhome rentals in the Twin Cities metro area.
- Minneapolis Rental Housing Brief and St Paul Rental Housing Brief: Monthly reports on the state of rental housing in the cities of Minneapolis and St Paul.
- Hennepin County Affordable Listings Report : A quarterly report featuring a summary of affordable listings in Hennepin County and intended for use by developers and policymakers with an interest in affordable housing.
- MN Housing Measures: Private market rent data contributes to this annually-updated, interactive visualization of three key measures related to affordable rental housing in Minnesota, in partnership with The McKnight Foundation.
- Twin Cities Rent Trends: Building on work by HousingLink and The McKnight Foundation with the University of Minnesota's Carlson Analytics Lab, Met Council's interactive tool that visualizes rent and vacancy trends for cities, townships, and neighborhoods in the Twin Cities region.
HousingLink tracks all publicly-funded rental properties in the state of MN that have and in-force affordability restriction or direct subsidy, along with attributes that include known addresses, units by bedroom and level of affordability, and funding sources. HousingLink products that include this data are:
- Streams: HousingLink’s free, searchable database of subsidized rental housing in the Twin Cities.
- Housing Counts: An annual report of affordable housing production and preservation in the Twin Cities Metro, in partnership with Family Housing Fund.
- MN Housing Measures: Streams data contributes to this annually-updated, interactive visualization of three key measures related to affordable rental housing in Minnesota, in partnership with The McKnight Foundation.