In this highly interactive, self-guided training you will learn everything you need to know to follow Fair Housing laws and avoid complaints.
Through engaging exercises and videos you will learn:
- A brief history of housing discrimination in the United States.
- How the Fair Housing Act was passed.
- Federally protected classes and additional protected classes in Minnesota.
- Which actions violate Fair Housing law.
- Customer service tips that help you avoid Fair Housing complaints.
- Reasonable Accommodation.
- Fair Housing scenarios that will help you put learning into action.
Micro-Training on the Minneapolis Renter Protections Ordinance
The Minneapolis Renter Protections Ordinance started on June 1st, 2020 for landlords with 16+ units and December 1st, 2020 for everyone else.
The following micro-trainings take about 3 minutes to complete. They will help you understand how the ordinance impacts your operations.
The goal of preventative maintenance is to catch small issues before they grow into major, expensive issues. This saves landlords money and hassle.
In this training you will learn:
- When to inspect your property.
- 9 key items to inspect.
- Routine maintenance items that protect rental properties.
Part training, part resource to help you prepare for a city inspection. It will take you just 8-10 minutes to walk through all of the content and get prepared for your next inspection.
Rental Property Inspections in St Paul: What to Prepare For and Expect
Part training, part resource to help you prepare for a city inspection.
Here is what you will learn:
Module 1 - What to Know Before the Inspection
Fees, pre-inspection checklist, inspection point system, your property's grade, and why we have inspections.
Module 2 - The Inspection
See what the inspector is looking at: Exterior, interior, plumbing, and electrical.
Module 3 - After the Inspection
How you are notified of violations, correcting violations, re-inspections, and ongoing inspection schedule.
Module 4 - Cooking Fires
Learn how to help tenants prevent cooking fires.
Module 5 - Landlord Maintenance Tips and Responsibilities
Learn tips for monitoring your properties condition, tenant notification before entering the property, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and more.
Module 6 - Additional Resources for Landlords
Learn about the Affordable Housing Incentive Program (4d) and Rental Rehab Loans.
Take the Inspections Training
Permits: When Does a Landlord Need One?This interactive micro-training takes 3-5 minutes to complete. You will learn which building, electrical and plumbing projects need a permit, which ones don't, and when you have to hire a licensed contractor. Invest 5 minutes now to save yourself a lot of money and hassle later. Take the training
- Advertising and Showing Your Property (1 minute, 43 seconds)
- Lease Agreement (1 minute, 10 seconds)
- Move-in/out Checklist and Security Deposit (2 minutes, 16 seconds)
- Maintenance Responsibilities (2 minutes, 21 seconds)
- Fair Housing (3 minutes, 40 seconds)