Housing Tip: How to Get Emergency Assistance in the Twin Cities

Emergency assistance programs in Minnesota are short-term (usually a one-time payment) for people experiencing a financial hardship like an eviction or utility shut-off. If you are in this situation you should contact the county where you live to find out how to get the assistance. NOTE: you will likely need to provide the eviction notice, copy of utility bills and/or the disconnection notice, I.D., proof of your current address, and more to receive the assistance. Be prepared before you call or make a trip to a county emergency assistance office! The following is how to access emergency assistance for counties in the Twin Cities metro area.

Anoka County
Families with children under the age of 18, or children that are 18 and full-time high school students, should contact the Anoka County Human Service Center in Blaine at 763-717-7730.

Adults with no children under the age of 18, or children that are 18 and full-time high school students, contact Anoka County Adult Intake, Anoka County Government Center in Anoka at 763-422-7246.

Carver County
Emergency assistance is usually provided in the form of specific payments for shelter or other emergency expenses, which cause a threat to the health or safety of the individual or family. People currently active on a program with Financial Assistance should call their caseworker to apply for emergency assistance. People not currently active in a program with Carver County can call (952) 361-1600 and ask for Financial Assistance Intake to get information on how to apply for emergency assistance.

Dakota County
Emergency assistance programs are short-term assistance (usually a one-time payment) for people experiencing a financial hardship such as an eviction or utility shutoff. Any income not needed for basic needs will be considered available to meet the emergency as well as any cash or other assets you might have. Contact Employment and Economic Assistance at 651-554-5611.

Hennepin County

When Hennepin County residents are in a financial crisis that poses a direct threat to their physical health or safety, the county may be able to help by providing short-term aid.

Services may include:

  • Emergency temporary shelter
  • Housing costs like rent payments, damage deposits, home repairs and utility bills
  • Foreclosure prevention, moving expenses and transportation to relocate
  • Extra food support for people on special diets

It can take up to 30 days to find out if you’re eligible for emergency assistance through Hennepin County.

Single adults should call 612-596-1300. We can see if we can help you apply over the phone.

Families with children under 18 must come in person to apply for emergency help at one of the following locations:

Central-Northeast Minneapolis

Health Services Building, 525 Portland Avenue, Minneapolis | Map

Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

North Minneapolis

Human Services and Public Health Department — North Minneapolis, 1001 Plymouth Avenue North, Minneapolis | Map

Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

South Minneapolis

Human Services and Public health – South Minneapolis, 2215 East Lake Street, Minneapolis | Map

Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Northwest suburban

Northwest Family Service Center, 7051 Brooklyn Boulevard, Brooklyn Center | Map

Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

South suburban

VEAP Community Service Center, 9600 Aldrich Avenue, Bloomington | Map

Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Thursday 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.

West suburban

Wells Fargo building, 1011 - 1st Street South, Hopkins. | Map

Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Ramsey County
The Emergency General Assistance (EGA) program primarily helps low-income individuals experiencing a financial crisis. If you wish to apply for cash or food programs, please come to our offices at 160 East Kellogg Blvd., Government Center East, St. Paul, MN 55101. To have Ramsey County mail you an application, or for further information about applying for services or our programs, call 651-266 4444.

Scott County
Emergency General Assistance (EGA) meets the emergency needs of eligible adults or families who are in an emergency and who are residents of the state. Call financial assistance at (952) 445-7751 for more information.

Washington County
The Emergency Assistance program primarily helps low income individuals experiencing a housing or utility crisis.

HOW TO APPLY: To obtain information about our financial assistance programs, apply or to obtain an application, contact the Financial Intake line at 651-430-6459. Applications are available in any of Washington County's four offices during business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Washington County Government Center 14949 62nd Street North P.O. Box 30 Stillwater, MN 55082
Woodbury Service Center 2150 Radio Drive Woodbury, MN 55125
Forest Lake Service Center 19955 Forest Road N Forest Lake, MN 55025
Cottage Grove Service Center 13000 Ravine Parkway Cottage Grove, MN 55016